Through the corporate-funded American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), large corporations and politicians work behind closed doors to try to rewrite state laws to weaken your rights. These so-called "model bills" reach into almost every area of American life and often directly benefit huge corporations.
UPS spends hundreds of thousands of dollars supporting ALEC.
ALEC is bad for UPS’s workers and reputation. ALEC routinely promotes model legislation designed to:
- Misclassify employees as independent contractors, so that companies can increase profits by paying workers less;
- Drive wages and benefits down;
- Restrict your rights for claiming workers’ compensation;
- Weaken safety standards on roads and highways;
- Automate package delivery using driverless vehicles; and
- Support right-to-work (for less) laws that weaken unions and make it more difficult to negotiate good contracts.
If ALEC’s legislative agenda succeeds, it could put the hard-earned pay and benefits of all workers at risk. Tell UPS to get out of ALEC now!